Saturday, September 9, 2023

LOVE COMMANDMENTS

 


Did you hear Paul reciting the Ten Commandments in our Epistle (Rom 13:1-10) today? He quoted some of the commandments in one sentence, and then said that they “are summed up in this word: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Have you ever thought of obeying the Ten Commandments as the way you love your neighbor as yourself? I think most people see the Ten Commandments as laws to keep. Worship God and attend church on Sunday. Honor parents and don’t hurt people, steal from them or tell lies about them. Do you think people see the commandments as ways to love each other?

When I come to church on Sunday and offer thanksgiving and praise to God, I am loving my neighbor. When I show respect to my parents and family members, I am loving my neighbor. When I say good things about a classmate or help an older person with some chore, I am loving my neighbor.

Today, I am starting a class on Martin Luther’s Small Catechism. Do you know what Martin Luther explained in the first part of his Catechism? The Commandments! He taught that we should know by heart the Ten Commandments, The Apostles Creed, The Lord’s Prayer and finally Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.

And do you know what Martin Luther would say about the Ten Commandments if he were here today? He would agree with St. Paul and say that all of the commandments “are summed up in this word: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”

With that, let us pray. Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless these and all children, and give their parents the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment