Saturday, September 17, 2011

Use of Time

Today, my wife and I drove 82 miles one way for a job fair hosted by a tax preparation company. After rising early, preparing, putting on our best business suits, and arriving in plenty of time, we found the experience a total waste of time. Cindy and I are professionals with four masters degrees between us. Should we get hired, we would earn about $15 per hour for work that will last for four months, offer no other benefits, and we would be expected to pay for "tax preparation" classes.

On the other hand, yesterday we were given a two hour tour and personal introductions at a local university by a Dallas native I met via LinkedIn. I expected a 20 minute chat, but instead she gave us her full attention for two hours. I was totally impressed.

When you enter into networking, you never know who you will meet or how you will be greeted. While today's experience was a total waste of time, yesterday's was certainly well worth the time. We are grateful to a true Dallas native. Thank you, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment