Sunday, September 4, 2011

New Chapter in Life

This marks the first time when I have not been working or studying since the age of 5, not including summer vacation. My last day as Director of Development at Berkeley Food and Housing Project was Friday, September 2nd. I had worked there for 3 years raising money and awareness so that we could provide solutions to homelessness and hunger in the East Bay.

How does one transition from decades of study and employment to an uncertain future? When Cindy and I married Cindy on August 7, 2010, I never imagined we'd be moving to Texas in 13 months without jobs. But several months ago when Cindy came home and asked what I thought about her quitting her job and us moving to Texas, I was actually supportive of her idea. She had worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories for more than 32 years, retiring in August as a budget manager. We're moving to Whitesboro, Texas to be  closer to her parents, Tom and Peggy Harmon.

I support Cindy in her decision. I was the primary caretaker of my mother for 10 months before she died in 2006.  I moved back to Pennsylvania from Eureka, CA to do this.

These past few weeks Cindy and I have been packing our belongings and donating items we choose to leave behind. Labor Day is our last day in California. Tuesday we drive off to begin a new chapter in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck and safe travels! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Paul, you have been a valued friend and coworker and I wish you and Cindy much success.

    ReplyDelete