Friday, September 17, 2021

Embraced by God!

 


Mark 9:30-37

When I was a small boy, we visited our aunts quite frequently. These were my mother’s sisters. Mom was the youngest of 8 girls so all of my aunts were older than she. When my aunts greeted us, they always gave us a big hug and a kiss. As little boys, we were not always thrilled with this greeting.

I mention that because in our Gospel (Mark 9:30-37), Jesus took a child in his arms and said to his followers, “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.”

Those were shocking words to his listeners. In Jesus’ time, small children were not treated with the same kindness and respect that adults gave one another. They were not able to function for themselves like adults. They needed constant care. At times, they were a bother. They were often sent as spies by their parents to get gossip on other families. They were not greeted with the same enthusiasm and love my aunts gave me and Jesus gave the child.

Yet, Jesus said, “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.” Perhaps there are children in our world who are not embraced in our arms the way this child was by God.

God embraces you as His children. How does it feel to be embraced by God? Can you imagine how it must really feel to be embraced by God? Doesn’t God’s hug feel wonderful?

In Jesus’ name, we should embrace God’s children of all ages, shapes and sizes. When we embrace God’s children, we embrace Jesus. We embrace His Father. We embrace God. With that, let us pray.

Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless these and all children, and give their fathers and mothers the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment