Saturday, October 24, 2020

REFORMATION SUNDAY

 


Everyone knows that October 31st is Halloween. But did you know that the word is made up of 2 words: Hallows' Evening? Halloween is a 3-day celebration of the Church remembering all the people who have died – saints and sinners. It used to be that before children dressed up as astronauts and animals, superheroes and first responders, they dressed up as their favorite saints.

Do you know what else happened on October 31st? In 1517, Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on All Saints’ Church door in Germany. For many, October 31st is known as Reformation Day. I will talk more about this in my sermon.

Did you know that the word reform means change? Do you ever ask God to change or reform you? You know, it’s possible. God is not going to change you into the person you dress up as on Halloween, but God can change your heart. You stay the same person, but you can do things that you may never thought you could do.

When I was your age, I never thought I could stand in front of people and talk about Jesus, but God changed me so that I am no longer afraid to talk about Jesus in front of people.

As an illustration, let’s use this sheet of paper. If I tried to move it 10’ from where I am standing, I could not do it. But if I changed it into a ball, I could throw it a little further. If I made it into an airplane, I could fly it.

So, as you celebrate Halloween, remember how Martin Luther changed the Church by allowing God to make him brave, and ask for that change in your life.

Let us pray. Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless all children, and give their fathers and mothers the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment