Sunday, July 26, 2015

Supportive Belief Principles


My Three Ecuadoran Amigos
While riding a bus through Ecuador, I took time to gaze outside at God’s grandeur and converse across the aisle with His creatures. In between, I read Cold Calling for God by Rev. Ronnie Doss and Michael Durkin. They direct the reader to write three supportive belief principles and say them aloud twice a day for thirty days.
My three supportive belief principles are:
     1.    The local church transforms my life.
     2.    Discussing faith in God makes me happy.
     3.    God brought us together for a purpose greater than we imagine.

These principles came to me after years of reflective meditation. First, the local church transformed my life as a child, teen, young adult and mature man. The church transforms my life because of relationships. Through the local church, I understand that God loves us; and that humans love one another, including me. In turn, through these relationships my capacity to love God and others increases.

Second, when people tell me how God is working in their lives, I am intrigued. It is more interesting to hear how God is working in a person’s life than to listen to the news, political opinions, sports, weather updates or just about any topic under the sun. That the person talking to me is aware that a Supreme Being is active in his or her life fascinates me. My experience is that one comes to this conclusion after reflecting on life, and seeing that God indeed has always been present in their lives.

Right now, in this ordinary moment, God has brought us together for a purpose greater than either of us can imagine. Read that last sentence again and take a moment to reflect on it. If you ask yourself, “For what purpose?” you will discover that the answer is not immediately clear, but the truth is that God has brought us together for a greater purpose. What follows from this principle is: What can I do for you today?

The response to this question is not always evident immediately. When asked, “What can I do for you today?” most of us reply, “Nothing.” My proactive response is to do something before asking the person. This weekend, while my wife is away, I did a few loads of laundry and ironed. I called my two brothers and a friend. I participated in worship, prayed for others' needs and started a conversation with a new friend.

I keep these principles in mind as I go through the day, and think of them when I am in the ordinary moments of life – eating breakfast, walking the dogs, conversing with my wife, family members, acquaintances or strangers. Why? Because, like our common creeds, these principles guide my life.
How does your local faith community transform your life? Have you noticed how differently people respond to you when you discuss how God is active in your life? At this very moment, for what purpose has God brought us together as author and reader? What will you do for others today? Finally, what are your three supportive belief principles?

No comments:

Post a Comment