Friday, March 8, 2024

LIFTED UP

 


When I was a young boy and did something sinful, like call my brother a bad name or lost my temper, my mother made me kneel down on the hardwood living room floor and stare at something for 5 minutes. That was my punishment for my sin.

I knelt on the floor and stared at a crucifix. If you did not know, a crucifix is a cross with the body of Jesus hanging on it. I was to think of how much pain he suffered for my sin. It’s actually a good form of punishment for children no matter what their age.

I mention that because in our first lesson today (Num 21:4-9), we read about the sin of the people in the desert. They spoke against the Lord. They broke the First and Second Commandments (Hymnal p. 300), and God punished them by sending serpents. Well, right away after people started dying the people admitted their sin. Moses made a bronze serpent and put it on a pole. If you got bit by a snake, you would look at the serpent, and you were healed.

Jesus spoke of this in our Gospel (Jn 3:14-21). He used it to talk about himself being lifted up. Jesus was lifted up on a cross. If you believe in Jesus who was lifted up on the cross for you and me, you are promised eternal life. That does not mean that you get to do whatever you want. If you sin, your parents should still punish you, and maybe making you take five minutes and look at Jesus on the cross will make you appreciate what He did for you.

That is a good exercise for all of us. We sinned and deserve punishment. Today we should recall what Jesus did for us that we can escape eternal punishment and have eternal life through Him.

With that, let us pray. Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless these and all children, and give their parents the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment