Friday, January 6, 2023

RECALL YOUR BAPTISM

 


A couple of weeks ago, there was a lot of news about the death of Franco Harris. You heard of him because his Immaculate Reception was the greatest play in football history. I remember watching that game, and seeing Franco score a touchdown.

That was 50 years ago. I also remember events from 60 years ago: the tragic news of President Kennedy being shot and killed. There are people here who remember events that happened 70 or 80 years ago.

The reason I mention those events is because in our Gospel today, we have a report from Matthew (3:13-17) about the Baptism of Jesus by John in the Jordan River. Matthew may not have been there, but some eyewitnesses who were there would remember what happened. The Baptism of Jesus is even greater news than the tragedy of a world leader being killed or a man scoring a touchdown, and so it is even more important for us to remember this event, and to celebrate it every year.

Another important date in my life was April 14, 1957. It was the day I was baptized. I do not remember it, but my parents did. My godparents remembered it too. And so, on April 14 of every year, I think about my baptismal date, and that makes me very happy. Thinking about my baptism is Good News.

If you were baptized as an infant, you probably do not remember your baptism, but you can still think about it and celebrate it. Martin Luther encouraged everyone to recall their baptism every day because it is when we committed ourselves to Jesus Christ who through his suffering and death on the cross and his resurrection from the dead saved us from Satan, sin and death, and gave us eternal life in Him through Baptism.

Let us pray. Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless all children, and give their fathers and mothers the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment