Wednesday, October 12, 2022

HELP!

 


When you need help, who do you call? Ghostbusters? Some people think they don’t need help from anybody, but everyone eventually needs help from somebody. When I need help finding a contractor, I ask my friends to suggest someone. When I need help with my tractor, I call my cousin, Justin. When I need help making dinner, I look up a recipe. When I need help writing a sermon or a children’s message, I look at my Bible study guides.

I mention that because our Psalm (121) reads, “I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” Did you know that Psalm 121 is the basis of poems, hymns, songs and even a movie? The Sound of Music features Psalm 121. I was 8 years old when the movie was first shown. We saw it at the ABC Drive-In Theater. If you have not seen the movie, you should ask your parents to show it to you.

In the movie, the Von Trapp family escapes the Nazis by going up into the hills of Austria and crossing the border into Switzerland. Before the family makes its way, the Mother Abbess encourages the family by saying, “Remember: ‘I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help.’”

My point is that when you need help, you can ask your family and friends, but remember that your help comes from the Lord. God is never asleep, and as you go out and return home, He is always at your right hand to protect you and keep you from evil.

Remember the many ways God helps you, and when your family members and friends need help, you can help them best by turning to Psalm 121 and to God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

With that, we pray. Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless these and all children, and give their fathers and mothers the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment