Friday, September 30, 2022

FAMILY TREES

 


I spoke to you before about trees. I mentioned all the different types of trees on our property and which ones are my favorites. Today, I am going to talk about a different type of tree called a Family Tree.

A family tree is what we use to show all the different members of our family. I have been discovering information on my family tree about my grandparents and where they lived before coming to the USA. I also received a message from a cousin on my mother’s side who was also searching for family information. I have never met her in person, but have spoken to her on the phone a couple of times.

I mention this because in our Epistle (2 Tim 1:1-14), we read about Timothy’s mother, Eunice, and grandmother, Lois. They were the people who brought Timothy to the Christian Faith. Grandparents are like the roots of a tree firmly planted in the soil. Parents are like the trunk standing straight and tall. Children are like the mighty branches spreading out all around. Grandchildren are like new buds at the end of the branches growing ever further into the sky.

In your family, where are you, your parents and grandparents? Like Timothy’s mother and grandmother, how are they the trunk and root of your family tree? How are your grandparents grounded firmly in the Christian Faith? How do your parents support your faith like a mighty trunk of a tree?

My grandparents made sure all of my aunts and uncles were baptized. My parents made sure we learned our faith by attending church and Sunday school. My brothers were with me like branches on a tree. Now, our grandchildren are just learning about the Christian Faith like new buds. With that, we pray.

Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless these and all children, and give their fathers and mothers the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment