Friday, April 1, 2022

God Restores our Fortunes

 

Have you ever lost something and then got it back? I have lost some things and then got them back – a watch, a credit card, a coat. I’ve never lost anything really valuable, but I know a couple of people who have lost things and got them back.

On St. Patrick’s Day, I was walking my Golden Retrievers, and in the middle of our road, I found a wallet. I looked inside and saw that it belonged to our neighbor. I returned the wallet to his house. He was very glad to get it back.

A few years ago, I was walking from my car into a big hardware store when I found another wallet. I looked inside and found the owner’s name. He had over $800 in cash in his wallet. He was very, very happy that he got it back. He was so happy that he wanted to give me some of his money.

I mention those two instances of people getting back something that was lost because our Psalm today (126), tells us that “when the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream.” In other words, the people who got back what they lost were so happy that they thought they were dreaming.

When people are so happy that they think that they are dreaming, they say, “Pinch me! I must be dreaming.” Because we are sinners, we have lost everything, but through Jesus, God has restored our friendship with the Him. Because God has given us back new life and the everlasting life that we lost, we are so happy – happier than those men who lost their wallets and got them back. Today, be happy because of what God does for you.

With that, let us pray. Heavenly Father, from whom all fatherhood in heaven and earth is named: Bless these and all children, and give their parents the spirit of wisdom and love, so that the homes in which they grow up may be to them an image of Your Kingdom, and the care of their parents a likeness of Your love. We pray in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment