Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Fruits and Benefits of the Resurrection of Christ



We resume our series on Luther’s Small Catechism by focusing on Justification by Grace through Faith. My thanks to Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Lexington, Kentucky, which published many of Martin Luther’s sermons on its website. I mention this for your ongoing edification. We find there two Easter sermons the Doctor preached on our text (Mark 16:1-8).
Regarding The Fruits and Benefits of the Resurrection of Christ, Luther wrote:
“ … When I come to understand the fact that all the works God does in Christ are done for me, … the effect of his resurrection being that I also will arise and live with him; that … [causes] me to rejoice. This must be brought home to our hearts, and we must not merely hear it with the ears of our body nor merely confess it with our mouth.
You have heard in the story of the Passion how Christ is portrayed as our exemplar and helper, and that he who follows him and clings to him receives the Spirit, who will enable him also to suffer. But the words of Paul are more Christian and should come closer home to our hearts and comfort us more, when he says: "Christ was raised for our justification."
Continuing, Luther reflected upon Paul’s phrase: “’Christ was raised for our justification.’ Here Paul turns my eyes away from my sins and directs them to Christ, for if I look at my sins, they will destroy me. Therefore I must look [to] Christ who has taken my sins upon himself, crushed the head of the serpent and [became] the blessing. Now they no longer burden my conscience, but rest upon Christ, whom they desire to destroy.” …
“The question now arises: If Christ has taken away death and our sins by his resurrection and has justified us, why do we then still feel death and sin within us? For our sins torment us still, we are stung by our conscience, and this evil conscience creates the fear of hell.
To this I reply: I have often said before that feeling and faith are two different things. It is the nature of faith not to feel, to lay aside reason and close the eyes, to submit absolutely to the Word, and follow it in life and death. Feeling however does not extend beyond that which may be apprehended by reason and the senses, which may be heard, seen, felt and known by the outward senses; For this cause feeling is opposed to faith and faith is opposed to feeling. … Therefore we must disregard our feeling and accept only the Word, write it into our heart and cling to it, even though it seems as if my sins were not taken from me, and even though I still feel them within me. … Thus faith leads us quietly, contrary to all feeling and comprehension of reason, through sin, through death and through hell. Then we shall see salvation before our eyes, and then we shall know perfectly what we have believed, namely, that death and all sorrow have been conquered.”
 Because our sins remain active throughout our lives, Luther taught, “When death comes, they must also die, and then we are perfect Christians and pure, but not before. This is the reason why we must die, namely, that we may be entirely freed from sin and death. These words on the fruits of the resurrection of Christ may suffice for the present, and with them we will close. Let us pray God for grace that we may understand them and learn to know Christ aright.[i]


[i] Martin Luther,   
A Sermon on Christ’s Resurrection; Mark 16:1-8. http://www.orlutheran.com/html/mlsem16l.html

No comments:

Post a Comment